Tuesday, July 30, 2013

That Healthy New Hobby

As you read in my last post, my healthy eating habits led to me starting a new hobby. This, as you also know, eating healthy gets extremely costly at times and can make it somewhat discouraging when you see the grocery bill every two weeks continue to grow. I was eating zucchini and squash on a daily basis, my visits to the store became more frequent and my wallet continually got "lighter" and "lighter".  At this, my husband thought of planting our own garden with the things we use the most to cut back on having to spend so much. I somewhat chuckled at the thought because, well lets just say I have worse than a brown thumb, at least with flowers! He understood my concerns with possibly spending all this money to start a garden and watching it shrivel up and die in a matter of weeks but gave me confidence that he would make sure to attend it daily until it was healthy enough for me to care for it. Thank goodness I let him talk me into this! My new garden became my baby that I enjoyed just walking around and looking at every few hours. I enjoyed my quiet time outside in the sun while listening to God's creatures and enjoying what God had allowed to grow in my very own backyard. What started out as very weak tiny plants that I had little confidence in became very productive large plants that had to be replanted twice due to the massive plants they became. I began getting so much from my zucchini and squash plants that I was able to freeze three gallon size freezer bags full and still have some coming in. My tomato plants were, and still are, so successful that we could make homemade healthy tomato sauce and even give some to a friend that needed some fresh veggies.
Of course all good things must come to an end...but not yet! I though I had seen my last zucchini and squash for the year due to nasty squash bugs sucking the water and nutrients out of my healthy garden but I wasn't giving up that easily. A quick visit to Lowes to get the miracle Sevin Dust and lots of watering brought my garden back to producing again! I'm so thankful for what God has allowed in my life and my little backyard. I can't wait to see what the future holds nor can I wait to plant a "real" garden at my forever home in Georgia that I can share my produce with my friends and family!
Healthy Habits -Part 2 coming soon! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love this!!! That's what is pushing me to garden my own plants too. Question, do you guys check your soil for pH content? I am wondering if we need to test ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not. We have a raised bed that Paul and his dad built since our yard is so little so the soil is potting soil. How's your garden coming along?

      Delete